Why I Stopped Planning for Retirement by Age: Refactoring My Financial Timeline
I had a basic spreadsheet. It projected how much capital I would accumulate in 10, 20, or 30 years, assuming a standard annual compound return—around 5% at the time—and a fixed yearly contribution routed from my software engineering salary.
Watching the numbers tick upward in the cells was satisfying. There was just one fundamental logic flaw. The spreadsheet successfully answered the question: “How much money will I have?” It completely failed to answer the far more critical question: “Will I have enough?”
Shifting From a Chronological Goal to a Financial Number
Back then, I viewed retirement through a traditional, chronological lens. You work until you hit a specific age milestone—around 65—and then you stop. Age was the target variable; the actual mathematical requirements of the portfolio were almost an afterthought.
As I analyzed more data, financial models, and historical market research, I ran across a framework that completely refactored my entire timeline: The 4% Rule.
The Math Behind the 4% Rule
The underlying logic of the 4% safe withdrawal rate is elegant in its simplicity. If your aggregate investment portfolio scales to a size where withdrawing approximately 4% in year one (and adjusting for inflation thereafter) covers your baseline annual living expenses, your portfolio has a high statistical probability of surviving a multi-decade retirement without running out of capital.
This paradigm shift completely changed my financial planning architecture. Instead of asking, "How old will I be when I retire?" I began asking, "How large does my asset base need to be?"
Retirement was no longer an arbitrary birthday circled on a calendar. It became a defined financial milestone.
Estimating the Burn Rate: Using Base Salary as a Proxy
The next engineering challenge was defining the input variables: how much annual passive income would I actually require?
At that stage, I hadn't mapped out a granular, post-career retirement budget. To keep the model functional, I selected a straightforward proxy: my baseline W-2 salary.
My reasoning was straightforward:
My base salary already comfortably supported my active lifestyle, housing, and fixed costs.
Once financial independence was achieved, I would no longer need to aggressively carve out 20-30% of my income to save or invest for retirement.
Therefore, targeting a passive income stream equal to my active base salary provided a massive, built-in margin of safety.
Using your current living expenses as a baseline, calculating your net financial independence number becomes a simple, reproducible function.
A Childhood Lesson in Sequence of Returns Risk
There was another historical data point quietly influencing my structural risk tolerance. When I was a kid, my father invested my paper route and childhood savings into a Nasdaq mutual fund. Right afterward, the dot-com bubble burst.
The value of that tech-heavy investment collapsed overnight. What left the deepest impression on me wasn't the immediate volatility of the crash—it was the agonizingly slow recovery time. That fund didn't break even until the end of 2007, precisely as the global economy was heading into the Great Recession.
Watching that multi-year drawdown taught me a permanent lesson about Sequence of Returns Risk.
Even if the stock market historically recovers over long time horizons, "eventually" can be an incredibly punishing timeline if you need cash today. This experience made me deeply uncomfortable with the standard FIRE strategy of systematically selling off 4% of your principal every year to fund your life. If you retire directly into a major bear market, you are forced to liquidate shares at severely depressed prices, permanently crippling your portfolio's architecture.
Transitioning to a Dividend Growth Investing Strategy
Seeking a more robust defense against market drawdowns naturally led me to dividend growth investing. Instead of relying on capital liquidation, I wanted to own high-quality businesses that consistently distribute cash flow directly from their balance sheets.
Dividends provided the exact structural feature I valued most: predictable cash flow.
[ Traditional FIRE ] ➔ Sell Principal Shares (Exposed to Market Volatility)
[ Dividend FIRE ] ➔ Collect Organic Cash Flow (Principal Remains Intact)
Even during severe market downturns when paper portfolio valuations fluctuate wildly, established, well-capitalized companies frequently maintain or grow their dividend distributions. That recurring liquidity feels vastly more tangible than a fluctuating net worth number on a screen.
Over time, my asset allocation evolved. I migrated away from individual stock picking toward highly efficient, dividend-focused index funds. Today, the SCHD ETF (Schwab U.S. Dividend Equity ETF) serves as a cornerstone of my portfolio architecture. It delivers exactly what my system requires: a diversified basket of cash-flow-heavy companies with a strict historical track record of growing their annual distributions.
Looking Ahead: Running a New Model
Today, my financial plan has completely shed its age-based constraints. I don't track a retirement date; I track system metrics:
Total portfolio equity values.
Forward-looking annualized dividend income.
Net safe withdrawal rates relative to real-world expenses.
I look at my projections annually and run a simple test: If active career work became entirely optional tomorrow, would the passive cash flow generated by my assets fully sustain my desired lifestyle?
I haven't fully crossed the finish line yet, but the trajectory is clear. Based on current contribution velocities and compounding rates, I anticipate hitting full financial independence within the next five to ten years.
Whether I actually choose to step away from tech is a completely separate decision. I genuinely enjoy writing code, building scalable software, and solving complex system problems. Financial independence isn't about escaping a W-2 job; it’s about securing the absolute autonomy to choose your projects on your own terms—completely independent of your age.
Comments
Post a Comment